Thursday, January 16, 2014

A New Start

Too long I have quoted Vanilla Ice by believing "Anything less than the best is a felony." This should be viewed only as far as one's attempt should be the best they can give, but anything less than the best... just needs editing. One need not always create things of perfection, and in fact that is one of life's great joys. Not being perfect doesn't make you, as the previous quote implies, a felon. Indeed, it serves to make you human, to remind you that you may not be perfect, but that you can improve.

This blog hasn't been updated in two months. Not because I haven't had ideas, not because I haven't written. It was because life got busy, and then I withdrew. After being away from it, I felt like a failure, rather than simply like someone that had made a mistake. Every day grew harder, with me thinking of a post I could make to redeem myself and begin again. A comic about a boy who woke up late and said something to the effect of "Guess I'll try again tomorrow" was a common thought about how I could break back into blogging. And I thought about using New Year's as a fresh start, but again found it intimidating.

This is my blog, though, so I needed to remind myself that I wouldn't be breaking in to it again. There is no one to be intimidated of, but myself.

So, I didn't do my hour of writing today, but I wrote the above, and (before having problems sleeping) I wrote the following on a social networking site, in response to a friend posting the attached link with a condescending comment.  Perhaps readers believe this shows my political views or perhaps readers will see this as me playing devil's advocate, in either case, I do not intend for this blog to be about politics, and am simply using this to show that even in small quantities, such as social networking sites, I am still writing (and doing so in a manner I take pride in).

The Story

The idea of this is flawed on so many levels. He was taking from the top to add only to the bottom. So much of what we have today is based upon the work of those that came before us, like computers, the internet, calculators, refrigerators. Having these things did not diminish the lives of those that came before us, nor did it cost them anything. They were not paying time to create these things, they were investing their time in the community as a whole. It wasn't just the homes of Lewis Pasteur and Nikola Tesla that became better places to live, but also those around them.
Knowledge is not a finite resource, to be given to one it does not need to be taken from another. It is like a flame, by which you may light many candles, and yours does not dim any more than it would have.

There are many finite things that do not work for sharing, of course. Time is one of the largest. You can't have 1 doctor with 3000 patients. Actual mineral resources also can't be shared evenly on a large scale, but that is why scientists are looking into better fuel sources, such as solar and electric power. And though insight can be given, that does not mean it is listened to. As the saying goes, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink." But each generation leans a little further left, until it becomes so far left that the whole scale tips, making the old middle the new right.
Yes, there have been problems, many times, in history where the youth have been misled, and their naivety was preyed upon by their elders. That's why things like racism still exist in the world. But in the larger scheme of things, going left tends to be better for humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment