Perhaps a bit pre-emptive, but today I spent quite a bit of time working with someone to verify grammar, etc on my work. Realized just how far I've come, and how much I still have to do.
I currently have begun writing perspectives from four separate characters. One of these will probably just be a short story, but the other three I would like to see as standalone books. Of these three, the largest are only probably 3 chapters, and the main characters are just starting to come to the main conflict of the story. They then will need to attempt to overcome it and face obstacles along the way. This is the real "meat" of the book. I fear that it may also be the reason that I have so many starts, and so few middles... Though it may also be that as I introduce new characters I work on their backstory to try to figure out what drives them and it starts turning into its own book... But I will be writing exclusively on the story of Candace, separated from her family by the quarantine, until I have a sufficient body to call a book.
Though I do state I will be exclusively writing for her book, that is not to say that I won't have other ideas and jot them down, etc. But it'll be like throwing clean clothes in a hamper while I iron out and deal with Candace's story. Once done with that, I can deal with the rest, but you can't iron all of your clothes at once.
But enough about me. Let's turn this camera around and look at the readers for a moment. Today's question for you: Does someone get called a supervillian because they are selfish, or because they do not adhere to the local laws? If someone used their powers to stop an atomic bomb, but killed 1/10th of the people it would have in the process, are they a hero or villain?
If they find the cure for cancer, but it requires body parts from a cat, would they be a hero or villain for being prepared to pay that price? If they were more ethical, and used animals that would be put down, would it require a PR campaign calling it "Animal Organ Donors," or would they still be a villain for killing the few to save the many?
That is your question for today. Is it the action that makes them villainous, is it the motivation, or is it somewhere between?
Villians are heros who are fighting for a different cause, usually on the wrong side of the law or the rules of the land. They believe they have a noble purpose or a mission that is bigger than the people they will hurt. I think of Ed Harris's character in The Rock. He really thought that his mission, while it would take lives, was for an overall cause that was worth the damage.
ReplyDeleteA supervillian wants nothing more than to see others suffer and die for the pure pleasure the power they have over others brings them. I think of Voldemort or The Joker... So insane that their actions are 100% for their gain.