Sunday, July 14, 2013

Why do we fall, Bruce?

Well, computer issues are definitely putting a damper on the blogging part of my new goals, but it gives me a bit more time to think (in between sessions of trying to find people to fix my computers, of course).
Got an idea for a new story, new viewpoint, and potentially a new villain or two. Perhaps part of the Trayvon Martin thing gave me the idea, but there are other events that have also left a bad taste in my mouth about the justice system.

Here's an idea I'm finding it hard to communicate by text, but is important to me. If our criminal justice system handles 100 cases, and all 100 are dealt with the same way, whether guilt or innocence, would you rather have 99 guilty men go free, or one innocent man to spend his life in prison? I'll post my thoughts in the next blog, but time for the audience to take the floor. Which would be better, jailing the innocent or freeing the guilty? Let me know, and explain why you feel that way.


And after you post, ask yourself what crime you were thinking of, and if that changes your answer at all.

4 comments:

  1. Great question. My answer would be jailing the innocent. I know it seems harsh, but the thought of known pedophiles and child molesters running free scares the shit out of me. I am actually quite liberal in most of my thinking but I would really prefer to protect the people that cannot protect themselves.

    Our justice system is by no means perfect, but it is all we have. If we want it to change, then society must do something about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, jail the innocent! There is a law adage that states let 10 guilty go free lest one innocent be put in jail. Having been a juror in a felony I believe the jurors followed the instructions from the judge and rendered a just verdict based on the evidence. We may not like it but they did their job. Change the law if unhappy. I hope the person above never sits in jail if innocent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Andy may have missed the point of this post. Freeing the guilty would be better. We have no claim over any other man, and nature is a much better judge than any human.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Luckily, this is a hypothetical question. I have a hard time really answering it because my immediate instinct is to protect children who cannot protect themselves.

    This is the thought that crossed my mind that led to my answer. I am given the choice - personally gobto jail for a crime I did commit and a known child molester and killer stays in jail or we both go free - I would sacrifice my life to keep one child from going through the anguish and pain that would be caused by the evil person.

    I know it a harsh stand to take, but I would personally rot in jail if it saved lives.

    I can see the other side of it, that how do we as humans have the right to imprison anyone when there is doubt of innocence. I could easily get on that side too... If there was less evil in the world. Unfortunately, there are some sick villains in this world that taint my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete